Arts and music programs for children and youth with disabilities provide enhanced self-esteem, increased social interaction, improved language skills and greater awareness of the arts. Students often uncover a skill or talent through the arts program.
The Special Education Foundation believes that fine arts play an important role in the education of students with disabilities. Each year, the Foundation provides several opportunities to students served by the Special School District.
Examples of Foundation-sponsored programs are:
- Deaf students throughout St. Louis County attend a play at the Repertory Theater
- High school students from the St. Louis City and North St. Louis County attend several performances at the Black Repertory Theater
- Additional students take part in the services offered through Springboard to Learning and COCA
- Litzsinger School students develop a holiday program with dance and songs that generate standing ovations
- Numerous students enjoy the Access the Arts Programs through Stages St. Louis Several students, and their families enjoy the Variety Club performance at the Blanche Touhill Performing Arts Center
- Students and their families attend a performance of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra
To apply for an Arts in the Classroom grant, please complete the Dana Brown Teacher Mini-grant application.
For more information, please contact Jeanine at email@example.com.