The Special Education Foundation Women Leaders is an active women’s group committed to helping children and youth with disabilities. It was established in 2009 based on the interest of guests at a friend-raiser in how they could help. The new group settled on hosting a boutique, luncheon and fashion show to raise money to support students.
Each fall, the principals of five Special School District schools present information about their schools’ populations and special projects that the Foundation could help them execute.
In September 2018, the group funded the following projects, featured in this video created by the students of Northview High School:
- $1,425 for an ice cream truck visit at field day and one Springboard to Learning program for Neuwoehner High School
- $875 for a swing for Litzsinger School
- $1,000 for one inclusive swing set for Southview School
- $1,900 for prom photos, graduation caps and gowns, support of family PTO events at the school, yearbook subsidies, prizes and supplies for fall barbecue and Spaghetti Bingo, partial funding for end of year picnic and an emergency fund for Northview High School
- $3,000 for arts and culture experiences at National Blues Museum, Gateway Arch grounds, museum (no charge) and tram ride, Missouri History Museum (no charge), play at Grandel Theater for Ackerman School
Diane Buhr Engelsmann
Mary Beth Daniels